The popular Zinfandel Grille on Fair Oaks Boulevard suffered a chimney fire Monday morning shortly before opening for lunch, forcing the restaurant to close for at least a week until the smoke and debris are cleaned up.
No one was hurt in the blaze and the restaurant's dining room was not damaged by the flames, according to Will Cruz, manager at Zinfandel Grille.
The restaurant will be closed until about April 20 while the clean-up and repairs take place, Cruz explained.
"It's pretty much the roof and the chimney that need to be repaired," the manager said. "Luckily, the fire department got here fast enough and there was no damage to the inside of the restaurant."
While servers will not be able to wait tables - and make tip money - during the closure, Cruz said they can clock in and help with the clean-up and other duties.
"We're able to keep them busy and get them paid," he said.
Zinfandel Grille is at 2384 Fair Oaks Blvd., Sacramento.
Blair Anthony Robertson is The Bee's restaurant critic. Follow him on Twitter, @blarob.