Personal Finance: Ask the Experts

Get advice on money matters from The Bee's Claudia Buck and a panel of local experts

September 7, 2012
Should a parent be gifting in 2012 to avoid estate tax in 2013?

Q: My 94-year-old Dad now lives with my sister, his home sits empty and his total estate is over $1M by a few hundred thousand. The trust divides his assets equally between four children. My question is: if Congress does not make a move to keep the amount at $5M, would the estate tax be on the entire amount, or the amount over $1M? Second question: Is there any way to reduce this amount below the $1M if they don't? Third question: Can my sister (Trustee) gift each of us the maximum $13,000 annually without paying gift taxes? Since Mom is deceased, can he gift to husband and wife separately or just one gift of $13,000? Please help. -- Sherry, Rancho Murieta, CA

A: Your question #1: If your father has not made any taxable lifetime gifts, the estate tax applies only to amounts over the exemption amount. So if Congress fails to act and the estate tax exemption is reduced to $1 million, your father's estate would owe tax only on any amount over $1 million.

(Note--many authorities believe that Congress will not act prior to January 1, 2013, but will act sometime during 2013 and make the law retroactive to January 1. So we may not know until later in 2013 what the relevant exemption and tax rate are for 2013!)

#2: There are various techniques that your father could use to reduce the value of his taxable estate. One of the most common methods is to make non-taxable "annual" gifts, if he is comfortable parting with the money. Your father could make annual gifts now for 2012 of up to $13,000 per gift recipient, to an unlimited number of people including the four children, grandchildren, other relatives and/or other friends, without being subject to gift tax. He could repeat these gifts again in early 2013.

Additionally, the tax code allows your father to make payments in any amount for tuition or medical expenses for any person, so long as the payments are made directly to the provider.

Your father could also make gifts greater than $13,000 to individuals this year, but these gifts would need to be reported to the IRS next year on a Form 709 gift tax return.

#3: If your father is still capable of making his own financial decisions, he should decide on and make the gifts himself.

If your father is no longer serving as his own trustee, and your sister is acting as his successor trustee or is acting as his attorney-in-fact under a durable power of attorney, she may be able to make gifts on his behalf. This answer depends on what his trust and durable power of attorney say. The authority to make gifts is strictly regulated under California law, and this authority must be spelled out specifically in the document. Gifts can only be made to permissible donees and any limitations on amount of the gifts must be followed. If the power is not clear in the document, your sister does not have the power to gift.

#4: Your father could gift to a husband and wife separately, each with a gift of up to $13,000 each year, if he so desires.

Before starting any gifting program, your father should consult with his financial advisor, accountant, and/or attorney. He needs to be sure he is not jeopardizing his own security by gifting if he might need the funds for his health or personal care. Some assets might be better for your father to gift than others, for tax purposes.

There are other planning techniques beyond gifting that can be used to reduce the size of a person's taxable estate. I recommend that your father or sister consult with your father's attorney to confirm his affairs are in order, and to ensure that his estate plan carries out his wishes in the most tax efficient manner possible while not jeopardizing his ability to provide for himself.

About Comments

Reader comments on are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "report abuse" button below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "report abuse" button to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand. If you want to discuss an issue with a specific user, click on his profile name and send him a direct message.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "report abuse" button to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them, but you may ask our staff to retract one of your comments by sending an email to Again, make sure you note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us your profile name.

hide comments

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.

Meet Our Financial Experts

Claudia Buck

Claudia Buck is The Sacramento Bee's personal finance columnist. Read all her columns here. Contact her at

Terri Carpenter

Terri Carpenter offers advice on job hunting, retraining and career counseling. Carpenter works at Sacramento Works Inc., the career and job training arm of the Sacramento Employment and Training Agency (SETA). With 15 years in the field, she has hands-on experience with everyone from first-time job seekers to career professionals seeking advice after a layoff or looking for a mid-career change. Ask her a question.

Carlena Tapella

Carlena Tapella is a partner in the law firm of Webb & Tapella Law Corp. in Sacramento. The firm specializes in estate planning and probate, such as estates, trusts, conservatorships and litigation. She is a past president of the Sacramento County Bar Association's Estate Planning & Probate Section. Ask her a question.

Kimberly Foss

Kimberly Foss, certified financial planner, is the founder of Empyrion Wealth Management in Roseville. With nearly 30 years in the financial industry, her clients include women in transition, small business owners, retirees and "pre-retirees." Ask her a question.

Jesse Weller

Gregory Burke, a CPA and tax expert with John Waddell & Co. in Sacramento since 1984, worked as an IRS tax auditor for six years. He’s a past chairman of the California Society of CPAs. Ask him a question.

Daniel Tahara

Daniel Tahara takes your questions about California taxes. Tahara, a spokesman for the state Franchise Tax Board, has 10 years of experience as a tax auditor. Ask him a question.

Personal Finance columns

October 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31