Personal Finance: Ask the Experts

Get advice on money matters from The Bee's Claudia Buck and a panel of local experts

September 12, 2013
Does the sale of appreciated stock increase my income?

Q: I plan to retire in a couple of years and am strategizing my money options for maximum gain. Therefore I am allowing myself 12 years to roll over as much money as possible from 401k and 457 to Roth IRA. I am targeting to keep my income below the $250,000 threshold for married filing jt. I want to pay the taxes with my taxable account. I will have to sell LT appreciated stock. Does the sale of the appreciated stock count toward the $250,000 threshold? If so, then I suppose I will have to start selling off my stock now to bring up the cost basis in time for retirement when my income will ramp up due to the conversions.

Lady Lee
Sacramento, CA

A: Selling appreciated stock in an after-tax (non-IRA or 401(k) account) will increase your "modified Adjusted Gross Income" (MAGI) for both regular tax and the new 3.8% Medicare surtax on net investment income purposes. So if you want to avoid increasing your MAGI over the $250,000 threshold for the 3.8% Medicare surtax, you will have to watch how much gain the stock sales generate.

The new Medicare surtax applies to the lesser of your "net investment income" or the amount your MAGI exceeds the $250,000 threshold. So there are two ways to reduce or eliminate the tax: one is to keep your MAGI under the threshold; the second is to reduce your net investment income. There are two ways to do that: one is to reduce your gross investment income by changing your investment mix. The other way is to keep close track of your investment related expenses, including an allocable portion of your state income taxes, and deduct them against the gross investment income.

For example, if you have money in bank accounts that generate interest income, think about moving the funds to California municipal bond based investments. Municipal bond interest is not included in gross income for the purposes of the 3.8% Medicare surtax.

Another possible approach is to sell stocks that would create capital losses to offset the gains from the sale of stock that has increased in value. If you think that the stock that you sold at a loss will increase in value you can repurchase it more than 30 days after you sold it. If you repurchase it within 30 days, you will not be able to deduct the loss because of the "wash sales" rules.

One last consideration, when you convert part of your regular IRA to a Roth IRA, the amount converted will increase your MAGI, but not your gross investment income. So you will need to keep track of both the capital gains you generate from the sale of the appreciated stock and the amount of the IRA conversion in calculating your MAGI in relation to the $250,000 threshold.

As an aside, this will be my last entry in the Ask the Experts blog. It has been a privilege to address Sacramento Bee readers' tax questions. Thank you and best regards.

About Comments

Reader comments on are the opinions of the writer, not The Sacramento Bee. If you see an objectionable comment, click the "report abuse" button below it. We will delete comments containing inappropriate links, obscenities, hate speech, and personal attacks. Flagrant or repeat violators will be banned. See more about comments here.

What You Should Know About Comments on is happy to provide a forum for reader interaction, discussion, feedback and reaction to our stories. However, we reserve the right to delete inappropriate comments or ban users who can't play nice. (See our full terms of service here.)

Here are some rules of the road:

• Keep your comments civil. Don't insult one another or the subjects of our articles. If you think a comment violates our guidelines click the "report abuse" button to notify the moderators. Responding to the comment will only encourage bad behavior.

• Don't use profanities, vulgarities or hate speech. This is a general interest news site. Sometimes, there are children present. Don't say anything in a way you wouldn't want your own child to hear.

• Do not attack other users; focus your comments on issues, not individuals.

• Stay on topic. Only post comments relevant to the article at hand. If you want to discuss an issue with a specific user, click on his profile name and send him a direct message.

• Do not copy and paste outside material into the comment box.

• Don't repeat the same comment over and over. We heard you the first time.

• Do not use the commenting system for advertising. That's spam and it isn't allowed.

• Don't use all capital letters. That's akin to yelling and not appreciated by the audience.

You should also know that The Sacramento Bee does not screen comments before they are posted. You are more likely to see inappropriate comments before our staff does, so we ask that you click the "report abuse" button to submit those comments for moderator review. You also may notify us via email at Note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us the profile name of the user who made the comment. Remember, comment moderation is subjective. You may find some material objectionable that we won't and vice versa.

If you submit a comment, the user name of your account will appear along with it. Users cannot remove their own comments once they have submitted them, but you may ask our staff to retract one of your comments by sending an email to Again, make sure you note the headline on which the comment is made and tell us your profile name.

hide comments

On October 14, The Sacramento Bee will temporarily remove commenting from While we design the upgrade, we encourage you to tell us what you like and don't like about commenting on and other websites. We've heard from hundreds of you already and we're listening. Please continue to add your thoughts and questions here. We also encourage you to write Letters to the Editor on this and other topics.

Meet Our Financial Experts

Claudia Buck

Claudia Buck is The Sacramento Bee's personal finance columnist. Read all her columns here. Contact her at

Terri Carpenter

Terri Carpenter offers advice on job hunting, retraining and career counseling. Carpenter works at Sacramento Works Inc., the career and job training arm of the Sacramento Employment and Training Agency (SETA). With 15 years in the field, she has hands-on experience with everyone from first-time job seekers to career professionals seeking advice after a layoff or looking for a mid-career change. Ask her a question.

Carlena Tapella

Carlena Tapella is a partner in the law firm of Webb & Tapella Law Corp. in Sacramento. The firm specializes in estate planning and probate, such as estates, trusts, conservatorships and litigation. She is a past president of the Sacramento County Bar Association's Estate Planning & Probate Section. Ask her a question.

Kimberly Foss

Kimberly Foss, certified financial planner, is the founder of Empyrion Wealth Management in Roseville. With nearly 30 years in the financial industry, her clients include women in transition, small business owners, retirees and "pre-retirees." Ask her a question.

Jesse Weller

Gregory Burke, a CPA and tax expert with John Waddell & Co. in Sacramento since 1984, worked as an IRS tax auditor for six years. He’s a past chairman of the California Society of CPAs. Ask him a question.

Daniel Tahara

Daniel Tahara takes your questions about California taxes. Tahara, a spokesman for the state Franchise Tax Board, has 10 years of experience as a tax auditor. Ask him a question.

Personal Finance columns

October 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31