By Joe Davidson
Rio Linda High School hosted a National Underclassmen Football Combine over the weekend. Check NorCalPreps.com for more information on the overall combine and future combine dates and sites.
A closer look at some local prospects who fared well:
* Cole Farrow, Rio Linda, QB - Passed for 1,436 yards and 11 touchdowns as a junior and has gotten stronger for coach Mike Morris, who continues to lead one of the section's top programs.
* Nick O'Sullivan, Del Oro, S - Hard-hitter who also runs with fury. He had a 35-inch vertical leap, good footwork and lateral movement for coach Casey Taylor, who appreciates two-way grinders.
* Norman Sadler, Del Campo, DB - Superb athlete with an eye-popping 37-inch vertical leap. That's great for touching goal posts, but coach Mike Dimino expects him to break up passes.
* Austin Marks, Nevada Union, LB - JV difference maker will push for playing time on the varsity under coach Dave Humphers, whose team seeks a return to the playoffs.
* Taylor Miller-Wing, Folsom, QB - Someone asked me the other day if Folsom is about to slow down, and in a word..."NO." Lots of talent throughout the ranks at Folsom under coach Kris Richardson, whose spread offense is the best in the state and has kids on campus eager for a piece of the action.
* Ty Serna, Granite Bay, WR - Another top-tier program under a top coach in Ernie Cooper who could wheel out Serna to catch passes from major recruit quarterback in Brendan Keeney.
* Trey Olsen, DE, Oakmont - An underclassmen, Olsen is a player in the trenches for the future.
11th grade MVPs
RB - Cameron Todd, Jesuit
DL - Evan Johnson, Rio Linda
Leadership - Cole Farrow, QB, Rio Linda
10th grade MVPs
Overall - Taylor Miller-Wing, Folsom, QB
WR - Phillip Carter, Folsom
OL - Garrett Strohmaier, Folsom
9th grade MVPs
Overall: Zac Bunden, QB, Rio Linda
RB - Te'Von Rhyne, Highlands
DL - Matthew Morris, Rio Linda