For a great refresher/crash course to the Sacramento-area high school football season, we suggest four courses of action to satisfy your curiosity:
Stay tuned for a flood of Bee previews next week in print and online, including:
- Area Top 20 rankings
- Top 25 top players to watch
- Top returning players with stats, comments (more than 100 players total)
- League-by-league previews and projections, with comments
- Overview story on the state of high school football with the haves and have-nots, fundraising issues, concussion concerns and the expansion of the playoffs.
- Point-counter-point between The Bee's Bill Paterson and me on topics such as the good/bad of regional games, transfers, etc.
Go to SureWestSports.com for a countdown rankings shows with host Mike Finnerty and yours truly as we offer:
- Interviews with coaches
- Interviews with athletes
- A breakdown of top players
- Big-picture commentary on prep football topics
Go to ESPN1320.net Friday morning for a link to the SureWest Sports Radio Show kickoff preview show that I co-host with Finnerty. Topics include:
- Can Del Oro three-peat?
- Is Grant a factor again?
- How good is Franklin?
- Does Folsom have a new QB ace?
- The biggest transfer in the region in years
- Can Granite Bay repeat?
- How fast is Pleasant Grove?
- Top players
- Top leauges
The show will also air each Saturday from 9-10 a.m. on ESPN1320, including this week.
Tune into Fox 40's Final Quarter Prep Football Preview Show on Friday from 11-11:30 p.m. During the season, Jim Crandell and Kristina Werner will break down highlights each Friday night, from 11-11:30 p.m. in the Final Quarter.
The Final Quarter this Friday includes:
- A visit with Del Oro
- A visit with national recruit lineman Eddie Vanderdoes of Placer
- A peek back at last year's top talents in Grant's Shaq Thompson (now at Washington) and Pleasant Grove's Arik Armstead (now at Oregon).
- A visit with Sac-Joaquin Section preseason No. 1 Lincoln-Stockton.
- A feature on retired legendary coach Ed Lombardi.
- An interview with Sac-Joaquin Section Commissioner Pete Saco.
- A story on concussions
- Five questions in a 2-minute blitz session with yours truly in breaking down the region in quick, big-picture form.
In short, football season is here.
- Joe Davidson
Follow on Twitter: @SacBee_JoeD
Follow on Facebook: sacbeepreps
Email to email@example.com
Bee photo by Jose Luis Villegas: Robert Frazier walks with an ice pack on his ankle after being injured in the 3rd quarter in the game between #3 Elk Grove and #5 Franklin at Consumnes Oaks High School in Elk Grove, October 14, 2011