Bee ranked No. 5 Sacramento plays Bay Area power Bishop O'Dowd of Oakland at 3:45 p.m. in a meeting of young Dragons.
Sacramento coach Derek Swafford regularly plays five freshmen, including 6-6 forward Devin Young, the team's leading scorer at 12 points per game. Sacramento lost to Deer Valley 97-96 in overtime earlier this season and beat Bishop O'Dowd 86-85 two seasons ago in the MLK at Haas.
O'Dowd this season features 6-9 sophomore post Ivan Rabb, who averages 16 points, 14 rebounds and 7.5 blocked shots a game and is viewed as the top sophomore in the land, following in the big steps of recent Bay Area big men talents such as Mitty of San Jose's Aaron Gordon and Deer Valley's Marcus Lee.
Other highlight features Monday at Haas:
* Palo Alto (15-1) vs. De Anza (13-7), 10:30 a.m. - Palo Alto is where Jim Harbaugh played his senior season of football and hoops (yes, he frowned in those pictures, too). Palo Alto has long been a power in basketball and are off to another rousing start. Aubrey Dawkins averages 18 points and 7 rebounds.
The 6-4 senior guard is the son of Stanford coach Johnny Dawkins, having scored 26 or more in four of his last six games.
* Analy (12-6) vs. Campolindo (11-5), 12:15 p.m. - Campolindo has a win against Bay Area power El Cerrito, though also coming off a tough loss to MaxPreps NorCal ranked Dublin. Analy beat Campolindo in the North Coast Section playoffs in 2011 and are led this winter by guards Mohannad Halaweh and Gabe Greenberg-Pines.
* Palma (12-3) vs. St. Patrick/St. Vincent (12-8), 2 p.m. - Palma will slowed a bit on offense with UCLA signee Noah Allen's broken wrist. St. Patrick/St. Vincent is led by 6-7 forward Jalen Canty, a 230-pound junior with skills who also blocks shots.
* Salesian (15-3) vs. De La Salle (14-2), 5:45 p.m. - Salesian is the No. 1 team in Northern California, according to MaxPreps, a defensive power led by standouts Jabari Bird, Markel Leonard and Mario Dunn. A dynamic combo guard talent at 6-6 averaging 20 points, Bird is a Cal commit.
De La Salle has long been known as a defensive power under coach Frank Allocco, whose team this season features Arizona-bound guard Elliott Pitts and a rising freshman in Devin Asiasi. Pitts is one of the great scorers in DLS history, able to score inside and out. He could encounter Dunn of Salesian a time or two. He's endless energy and effort.
* Newark Memorial (9-6) vs. Deer Valley (14-4), 7:30 p.m. - Deer Valley is coming off frenetic and fun 97-92 loss at Sheldon on Saturday. The Wolverines will again go with their terrific 1-2 punch in UNLV-bound guard Kendall Smith and Kentucky-bound post Marcus Lee, who had 30 points, 15 rebounds and seven blocked shots against Sheldon. Smith had 34. Lee averages 20 rebounds.
Newark, led by veteran coach Craig Ashmore, beat Deer Valley last season. This season, Newark will have Damien Banford, a tree at 6-5 and 290 pounds, lean against Lee.
PHOTO CAPTION: Sacramento High freshman Devin Young, averaging 11.1 points and six rebounds, dunks in a Dec. 18 game against Ponderosa.
- Joe Davidson
- On Twitter: @SacBee_JoeD
- On Facebook: sacbeepreps
- On podcast: ESPN1320.net