Recipe researcher Sheila Kern is going healthy for the New Year. Here are three recipe suggestions that will keep you on track for another few days.
A blueberry smoothie for breakfast? The berries are on sale at Raley's and Save Mart and cartons of yogurt are always reasonable. No reason not to start the day with a creamy smoothie. When it comes time for dinner, it doesn't get much easier than the two baked chicken recipes below. The key ingredient in these two recipes? Kellogg's cereal. Enjoy and Happy New Year.
Creamy Blueberry Smoothie Recipe
1 cup blueberries
1 cup plain yogurt or vanilla yogurt
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
3/4 cup ice cubes
Combine all ingredients in a blender.
Blend at high speed until smooth. Serve.
7 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes (crushed to 1 3/4 cups)
1 cup fat-free milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 pounds chicken pieces (without or with skin), rinsed and dried
3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
1. Place Kellogg's Corn Flakes cereal in shallow dish or pan. Set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl, beat egg and milk slightly. Add flour, salt and pepper. Mix until smooth. Dip chicken in batter. Coat with cereal. Place in single layer, in shallow baking pan coated with cooking spray or foil lined. Drizzle with margarine.
3. Bake at 350Â° F about 1 hour or until chicken is tender, no longer pink and juices run clear. Do not cover pan or turn chicken while baking. Serve hot.
3 cups Rice Krispies (crushed 3/4 cup)
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
2 egg whites
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon basil
6 boneless, skinless, split chicken breasts, rinsed and drained (about
1 1/2 lb.)
1. Combine Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal and cheese in shallow pan or plate. Set aside.
2. In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites and milk slightly. Add flour, salt and spices. Mix until smooth. Dip chicken in batter. Coat with cereal mixture. Place in single layer in shallow baking pan coated with cooking spray or foil lined coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 350Â° F about 55 minutes or until chicken is tender, no longer pink and juices run clear. Do not cover pan or turn chicken while baking. Serve hot.