There really isn't a better way to beat the heat than to sit in the dark air-conditioned media room overlooking the two courts at the Kings practice facility. With summer league practice under way right now, here are a few notes from the first two hours.
* The media have some of the best seats at the Kings practice facility. We sit behind a one-sided mirror facing the two courts. Why is that so great? Because many players are either not aware or don't care that we see them checking themselves out.
* Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia couldn't stay away. Both suited up and are periodically jumping in with the 18 players on the Las Vegas roster.
* Spencer Hawes missed the first day of practice in order to finish the accelerated classes he is taking at the University of Washington. He could be the first NBA player to use schoolwork as a legitimate excuse. Hawes is expected to arrive in Sacramento tonight.
* Shelden Williams looks a few pounds lighter.
* The lone local connection out here is David Johnson, a former Davis High School product. He is by far the smallest guy out here. He's listed at 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds. So far, Johnson doesn't appear to be included in many of the half court drills, which doesn't fair well for him if the Kings decide to trim their roster before leaving for Las Vegas.
* Marcus Malone, a 6-foot-5 guard out of Houston, is Karl Malone's cousin.