PHOTO CREDIT: Kings coach Paul Westphal and center DeMarcus Cousins talk during Saturday's loss to New York. Their relationship has been frosty. José Luis Villegas, Sacramento Bee.
We're here to feed your need for Sacramento Kings news. Each day, we'll highlight news, features and analysis from around the Web.
Tonight's game - Sacramento Kings (2-3) at Memphis Grizzlies (1-3):
• DeMarcus Cousins will dress but not start tonight, Jones reports in today's newspaper.
• Ronald Tillery previews tonight's game in today's Memphis Commercial-Appeal.
• Tom Lorenzo previews tonight's game in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Straight Outta Vancouver.
More Bee coverage on Cousins:
Trading Cousins would be dumber than the dumb things Cousins does that get him in trouble. It would be a panic move, not a panacea. It would be an attempt at a quick fix that removes the foundation of a rebuilding franchise.
More news and analysis on Cousins:
- The Boston Celtics inquired about the availability of Cousins, Mark Murphy reports in a story for the Boston Herald.
- The Warriors are not interested in acquiring Cousins, writes Rusty Simmons (@Rusty_SFChron) in a story for the San Francisco Chronicle.
- Brian Schmitz (@MagicInsider), in a blog post on the Magic BasketBlog for the Orlando Sentinel, asks whether the Orlando Magic would be interested in trading Ryan Anderson for Cousins.
- "Cousins, for whatever issues he has had in a little more than a season in the NBA, is a big-time talent, the sort the Rockets have eagerly hoped to acquire," writes Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) in a blog post on the Ultimate Rockets blog for the Houston Chronicle.
- The Washington Wizards inquired about the availability of Cousins last season, Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) reports on the Wizards Insider blog for The Washington Post.
- "There's no doubt Cousins is a talented player, but unless the Kings are giving him away, Detroit isn't the right fit at this time," writes Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) in a story for MLive.com.
- "There was support for Cousins among his teammates, but numerous players talked openly about the changes they believe he needs to make," writes Sam Amick (@sam_amick) in a story for Sports Illustrated.
- "Teams interested in Cousins have called the Kings, but none believes the team will seriously consider trading him so early in his career," write Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) and Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) in a story for Yahoo! Sports.
- "The only thing we know for sure is that the best of Cousins will come with a different team," writes J.A. Adande (@jadande) in a story for ESPN. "That's how these stories end."
- "Blurting out this demand in the coach's office, as Cousins supposedly did, is an unformed gesture of frustration, petulance, and defiance," writes Bethlehem Shoals (@freedarko) in a blog post on Balls Out for GQ.
- "Whatever is going on with team; whatever issues Westphal and Cousins have with each other, please fix it now," writes Judy Farah (@newsbabe1530) in a blog post for KFBK.
- "Whatever the impetus of the latest breakdown, a lot of front offices around the league are knowingly nodding their heads," writes Scott Howard-Cooper (@SHowardCooper) in blog post for NBA.com.
- Santiago and Ham spoke to Amick on the status of Cousins in the Cowbell Kingdom Podcast.
- Santiago and Ham write in a blog post that Kings players were surprised by Cousins' trade demand.
- "I almost think that what we have here are two separate issues that have combined for the perfect storm," writes section214 in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- "Cousins is not without some measure of blame, but the lion's share is on (Paul) Westphal," writes Greg Wissinger (@gwiss) in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- "What's the benefit of disclosing that one of the two most valuable prospects on the roster wants out?" asks Ziller in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- "For Cousins, all we can do is hope that eventually his maturity will grow and he'll become the player so many think he can be," writes Bryan Rosa writes in a blog post on FanSided affiliate A Royal Pain.
- "Call me old school, but I'd rather have a player like Chuck Hayes on the floor than a toxic guy like Cousins," writes Paul Clegg in a blog post on Sacramento Connect partner Game to 100.
- "If DeMarcus Cousins wants a trade, I say trade him," writes Ron Wenig (@RonWenig), in blog post on Sacramento Connect partner Kings Talking Points.
- Michael Levin, in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Liberty Ballers, thinks the Philadelphia 76ers should go after Cousins.
- Mike Prada (@MikePradaSBN), in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Bullets Forever, offers one hypothetical trade proposal for Cousins.
- Rahat Huq (@RedNinetyFour), in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Red94, and Tom Martin, in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate The Dream Shake, argue that the Houston Rockets should make a play for Cousins.
- Patrick Hayes (@patrick_hayes), in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Piston Powered, debates the merits of the Detroit Pistons trading for Cousins.
More coverage and analysis
- "The people in Sacramento are a little sensitive about free throws," Rob McAllister (@Rob_McAllister) writes in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Cowbell Kingdom.
- "There's been a lot of negativity surrounding the Kings as of late, both fan and media reaction - and it certainly isn't unwarranted, but given everything, it could be a lot worse," writes Rosa writes in a blog post on FanSided affiliate A Royal Pain.
- Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) ranks the Kings No. 21 in the NBA Basketball Power Rankings on ESPN.
- Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) ranks the Kings No. 27 in the NBA Power Rankings on ProBasketballTalk.
- Matt Moore (@MattMooreCBS) ranks the Kings No. 27 in the Power Rankings on CBS Sports.
Tweets of the day:
Cousins' statement was sent to media through his agent, John Greig. Clearly this isn't water under the bridge in their eyes.— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) January 3, 2012
When I hear "DeMarcus Cousins is flying with the team to Memphis" I like to imagine DeMarcus actually flying, like next to the plane.— Akis Yerocostas (@Aykis16) January 2, 2012
Online coverage from The Bee this season:
• LIVE CHATS: Join The Bee's Matt Kawahara for in-game chats during every Kings home game, just before tipoff right through the final buzzer.
• VIDEOS: Find out what some Kings players and coach Paul Westphal have to say about the upcoming season - and much more.
• BLOG: Stay up to date on the team's happenings with Jason Jones, Ailene Voisin and Matt Kawahara on The Bee's Kings blog.
• FACEBOOK: "Like" the Sacramento Kings Corner page and join Bee staffers and fans in discussions about the team and players.
• TWITTER: Follow The Bee's Jason Jones for up-to-the-minute developments, in-game updates and much more about the Kings.