PHOTO CREDIT: Kings coach Paul Westphal answers questions about center DeMarcus Cousins before Sunday night's game between the Sacramento Kings and the New Orleans Hornets at Power Balance Pavilion. JosÃ© Luis Villegas, Sacramento Bee.
We're here to feed your need for Sacramento Kings news. Each day, we'll highlight news, features and analysis from around the Web.
Result: The Sacramento Kings defeated the New Orleans Hornets 96-80 on Sunday at Power Balance Pavilion. View the box score.
Bee game coverage:
- "The center the Kings would love to build around wasn't at Power Balance Pavilion when they ended their three-game losing streak," Jason Jones (@mr_jasonjones) writes in today's newspaper recap.
- "The Kings would be nuts to entertain a single phone call" from any team interested in trading for DeMarcus Cousins, writes Ailene Voisin (@ailene_voisin) in a column in today's newspaper.
- Matt Kawahara (@matthewkawahara), in a noon blog post, reports on Francisco Garcia's season debut.
- Jones, in a blog post this morning, focuses on an improved Tyreke Evans.
- Kawahara, in an post-game blog post, reports on the team's improvement at the free-throw line last night.
- View the photo gallery by JosÃ© Luis Villegas.
- View last night's game chat.
More game coverage:
- "The Kings increased their defensive pressure in the second half, forcing turnovers and capitalizing on New Orleans mistakes, while heating up from the field just enough to build a substantial cushion," writes Jimmy Smith (@JimmySmithtp) in today's Times-Picayune recap.
- Jonathan Santiago (@itsJONsantiago) and James Ham (@James_Ham) break down last night's game in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Cowbell Kingdom.
- "Tyreke just had a bounce in his step that was absent in previous games," writes Scott Levin (@KingsSLev) writes in a blog post on FanSided affiliate A Royal Pain.
- "The Hornets shot a franchise record low from the floor in their loss to Phoenix, and somehow managed to look even worse tonight," writes Rohan in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate At the Hive.
- Ryan Schwan offers his rapid reaction for TrueHoop Network affiliate Hornets247.
- View the video highlights at NBA.com.
More on DeMarcus Cousins:
- Cousins will rejoin the team today, Jones reports in a blog post.
- "There was support for Cousins among his teammates, but numerous players talked openly about the changes they believe he needs to make," writes Sam Amick (@sam_amick) in a story for Sports Illustrated.
- "Teams interested in Cousins have called the Kings, but none believes the team will seriously consider trading him so early in his career," write Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) and Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) in a story for Yahoo! Sports.
- "The only thing we know for sure is that the best of Cousins will come with a different team," writes J.A. Adande (@jadande) in a story for ESPN. "That's how these stories end."
- "Blurting out this demand in the coach's office, as Cousins supposedly did, is an unformed gesture of frustration, petulance, and defiance," writes Bethlehem Shoals (@freedarko) in a blog post on Balls Out for GQ.
- The Warriors are not interested in acquiring Cousins, writes Rusty Simmons (@Rusty_SFChron) in a story for the San Francisco Chronicle.
- Brian Schmitz (@MagicInsider), in a blog post on the Magic BasketBlog for the Orlando Sentinel, asks whether the Orlando Magic would be interested in trading Ryan Anderson for Cousins.
- "Cousins, for whatever issues he has had in a little more than a season in the NBA, is a big-time talent, the sort the Rockets have eagerly hoped to acquire," writes Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) in a blog post on the Ultimate Rockets blog for the Houston Chronicle.
- The Washington Wizards inquired about the availability of Cousins last season, Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) reports on the Wizards Insider blog for The Washington Post.
- "There's no doubt Cousins is a talented player, but unless the Kings are giving him away, Detroit isn't the right fit at this time," writes Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) in a story for MLive.com.
- "Whatever is going on with team; whatever issues Westphal and Cousins have with each other, please fix it now," writes Judy Farah (@newsbabe1530) in a blog post for KFBK.
- "Whatever the impetus of the latest breakdown, a lot of front offices around the league are knowingly nodding their heads," writes Scott Howard-Cooper (@SHowardCooper) in blog post for NBA.com.
- Santiago and Ham spoke to Amick on the status of Cousins in the Cowbell Kingdom Podcast.
- Santiago and Ham write in a blog post that Kings players were surprised by Cousins' trade demand.
- "I almost think that what we have here are two separate issues that have combined for the perfect storm," writes section214 in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- "Cousins is not without some measure of blame, but the lion's share is on (Paul) Westphal," writes Greg Wissinger (@gwiss) in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- "What's the benefit of disclosing that one of the two most valuable prospects on the roster wants out?" asks Tom Ziller (@teamziller) in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- "For Cousins, all we can do is hope that eventually his maturity will grow and he'll become the player so many think he can be," writes Bryan Rosa writes in a blog post on FanSided affiliate A Royal Pain.
- "Call me old school, but I'd rather have a player like Chuck Hayes on the floor than a toxic guy like Cousins," writes Paul Clegg in a blog post on Sacramento Connect partner Game to 100.
- "If DeMarcus Cousins wants a trade, I say trade him," writes Ron Wenig (@RonWenig), in blog post on Sacramento Connect partner Kings Talking Points.
- Mike Prada (@MikePradaSBN), in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Bullets Forever, offers one hypothetical trade proposal for Cousins.
- Rahat Huq (@RedNinetyFour), in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Red94, and Tom Martin, in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate The Dream Shake, argue that the Houston Rockets should make a play for Cousins.
- Patrick Hayes (@patrick_hayes), in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Piston Powered, debates the merits of the Detroit Pistons trading for Cousins.
More news and analysis
- Rookie forward Tyler Honeycutt and second-year center Hassan Whiteside have been assigned to the Reno Bighorns of the NBA Development League, Jones writes in today's newspaper.
- Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) ranks the Kings No. 21 in the NBA Basketball Power Rankings on ESPN.
- Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) ranks the Kings No. 27 in the NBA Power Rankings on ProBasketballTalk.
- "Jimmer Fredette is quite the aficionado of New York high school basketball," writes Marc Berman (@NYPost_Berman) in a story for the New York Post.
- Fredette "idolized the players in the state high school championships every year," writes Mark Herrmann (@markpherrmann) in a story for Newsday.
- "Some of the Kings' recent problems are a result of bad transition defense and poor free-throw shooting, but it's mainly because this team needs a point guard," writes Blake Ellington (@blakeellington) in a blog post on Sacramento Connect partner Bleed Black And Purple.
- Akis Yerocostas (@Aykis16) gives us of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" of the first week of the season on SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- ForeignFlopper, in a blog post for SB National affiliate Straight Outta Vancouver, writes that the Memphis Grizzlies should consider trading for Jason Thompson.
Tweets of the day:
Gotta jus keep pushin... God has a plan that NOBODY can mess wit. Faith goes along way!— Isaiah Thomas (@Isaiah_Thomas2) January 2, 2012
Great bounce back win tonight for us!Now off to Memphis tomorrow.Thanks for coming to support everyone!— Jimmer Fredette (@jimmerfredette) January 2, 2012
Dnt listen to everything u hear ...smh glad to knw who the real fans are tho ...thanks— demarcus cousins(@boogiecousins) January 2, 2012
Online coverage from The Bee this season:
• LIVE CHATS: Join The Bee's Matt Kawahara for in-game chats during every Kings home game, just before tipoff right through the final buzzer.
• VIDEOS: Find out what some Kings players and coach Paul Westphal have to say about the upcoming season - and much more.
• BLOG: Stay up to date on the team's happenings with Jason Jones, Ailene Voisin and Matt Kawahara on The Bee's Kings blog.
• FACEBOOK: "Like" the Sacramento Kings Corner page and join Bee staffers and fans in discussions about the team and players.
• TWITTER: Follow The Bee's Jason Jones for up-to-the-minute developments, in-game updates and much more about the Kings.