PHOTO CREDIT: Kings coach Paul Westphal answers questions about center DeMarcus Cousins before Sunday night's game between the Sacramento Kings and the New Orleans Hornets at Power Balance Pavilion. José Luis Villegas, Sacramento Bee.
We're here to feed your need for Sacramento Kings news. Each day, we'll highlight news, features and analysis from around the Web.
Result: The Sacramento Kings defeated the New Orleans Hornets 96-80 on Sunday at Power Balance Pavilion. View the box score.
Bee game coverage:
- "The center the Kings would love to build around wasn't at Power Balance Pavilion when they ended their three-game losing streak," Jason Jones (@mr_jasonjones) writes in today's newspaper recap.
- "The Kings would be nuts to entertain a single phone call" from any team interested in trading for DeMarcus Cousins, writes Ailene Voisin (@ailene_voisin) in a column in today's newspaper.
- Matt Kawahara (@matthewkawahara), in a noon blog post, reports on Francisco Garcia's season debut.
- Jones, in a blog post this morning, focuses on an improved Tyreke Evans.
- Kawahara, in an post-game blog post, reports on the team's improvement at the free-throw line last night.
- View the photo gallery by José Luis Villegas.
- View last night's game chat.
More game coverage:
- "The Kings increased their defensive pressure in the second half, forcing turnovers and capitalizing on New Orleans mistakes, while heating up from the field just enough to build a substantial cushion," writes Jimmy Smith (@JimmySmithtp) in today's Times-Picayune recap.
- Jonathan Santiago (@itsJONsantiago) and James Ham (@James_Ham) break down last night's game in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Cowbell Kingdom.
- "Tyreke just had a bounce in his step that was absent in previous games," writes Scott Levin (@KingsSLev) writes in a blog post on FanSided affiliate A Royal Pain.
- "The Hornets shot a franchise record low from the floor in their loss to Phoenix, and somehow managed to look even worse tonight," writes Rohan in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate At the Hive.
- Ryan Schwan offers his rapid reaction for TrueHoop Network affiliate Hornets247.
- View the video highlights at NBA.com.
More on DeMarcus Cousins:
- Cousins will rejoin the team today, Jones reports in a blog post.
- "There was support for Cousins among his teammates, but numerous players talked openly about the changes they believe he needs to make," writes Sam Amick (@sam_amick) in a story for Sports Illustrated.
- "Teams interested in Cousins have called the Kings, but none believes the team will seriously consider trading him so early in his career," write Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) and Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) in a story for Yahoo! Sports.
- "The only thing we know for sure is that the best of Cousins will come with a different team," writes J.A. Adande (@jadande) in a story for ESPN. "That's how these stories end."
- "Blurting out this demand in the coach's office, as Cousins supposedly did, is an unformed gesture of frustration, petulance, and defiance," writes Bethlehem Shoals (@freedarko) in a blog post on Balls Out for GQ.
- The Warriors are not interested in acquiring Cousins, writes Rusty Simmons (@Rusty_SFChron) in a story for the San Francisco Chronicle.
- Brian Schmitz (@MagicInsider), in a blog post on the Magic BasketBlog for the Orlando Sentinel, asks whether the Orlando Magic would be interested in trading Ryan Anderson for Cousins.
- "Cousins, for whatever issues he has had in a little more than a season in the NBA, is a big-time talent, the sort the Rockets have eagerly hoped to acquire," writes Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) in a blog post on the Ultimate Rockets blog for the Houston Chronicle.
- The Washington Wizards inquired about the availability of Cousins last season, Michael Lee (@MrMichaelLee) reports on the Wizards Insider blog for The Washington Post.
- "There's no doubt Cousins is a talented player, but unless the Kings are giving him away, Detroit isn't the right fit at this time," writes Justin Rogers (@Justin_Rogers) in a story for MLive.com.
- "Whatever is going on with team; whatever issues Westphal and Cousins have with each other, please fix it now," writes Judy Farah (@newsbabe1530) in a blog post for KFBK.
- "Whatever the impetus of the latest breakdown, a lot of front offices around the league are knowingly nodding their heads," writes Scott Howard-Cooper (@SHowardCooper) in blog post for NBA.com.
- Santiago and Ham spoke to Amick on the status of Cousins in the Cowbell Kingdom Podcast.
- Santiago and Ham write in a blog post that Kings players were surprised by Cousins' trade demand.
- "I almost think that what we have here are two separate issues that have combined for the perfect storm," writes section214 in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- "Cousins is not without some measure of blame, but the lion's share is on (Paul) Westphal," writes Greg Wissinger (@gwiss) in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- "What's the benefit of disclosing that one of the two most valuable prospects on the roster wants out?" asks Tom Ziller (@teamziller) in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- "For Cousins, all we can do is hope that eventually his maturity will grow and he'll become the player so many think he can be," writes Bryan Rosa writes in a blog post on FanSided affiliate A Royal Pain.
- "Call me old school, but I'd rather have a player like Chuck Hayes on the floor than a toxic guy like Cousins," writes Paul Clegg in a blog post on Sacramento Connect partner Game to 100.
- "If DeMarcus Cousins wants a trade, I say trade him," writes Ron Wenig (@RonWenig), in blog post on Sacramento Connect partner Kings Talking Points.
- Mike Prada (@MikePradaSBN), in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Bullets Forever, offers one hypothetical trade proposal for Cousins.
- Rahat Huq (@RedNinetyFour), in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Red94, and Tom Martin, in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate The Dream Shake, argue that the Houston Rockets should make a play for Cousins.
- Patrick Hayes (@patrick_hayes), in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Piston Powered, debates the merits of the Detroit Pistons trading for Cousins.
More news and analysis
- Rookie forward Tyler Honeycutt and second-year center Hassan Whiteside have been assigned to the Reno Bighorns of the NBA Development League, Jones writes in today's newspaper.
- Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) ranks the Kings No. 21 in the NBA Basketball Power Rankings on ESPN.
- Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) ranks the Kings No. 27 in the NBA Power Rankings on ProBasketballTalk.
- "Jimmer Fredette is quite the aficionado of New York high school basketball," writes Marc Berman (@NYPost_Berman) in a story for the New York Post.
- Fredette "idolized the players in the state high school championships every year," writes Mark Herrmann (@markpherrmann) in a story for Newsday.
- "Some of the Kings' recent problems are a result of bad transition defense and poor free-throw shooting, but it's mainly because this team needs a point guard," writes Blake Ellington (@blakeellington) in a blog post on Sacramento Connect partner Bleed Black And Purple.
- Akis Yerocostas (@Aykis16) gives us of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" of the first week of the season on SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- ForeignFlopper, in a blog post for SB National affiliate Straight Outta Vancouver, writes that the Memphis Grizzlies should consider trading for Jason Thompson.
Tweets of the day:
Gotta jus keep pushin... God has a plan that NOBODY can mess wit. Faith goes along way!— Isaiah Thomas (@Isaiah_Thomas2) January 2, 2012
Great bounce back win tonight for us!Now off to Memphis tomorrow.Thanks for coming to support everyone!— Jimmer Fredette (@jimmerfredette) January 2, 2012
Dnt listen to everything u hear ...smh glad to knw who the real fans are tho ...thanks— demarcus cousins(@boogiecousins) January 2, 2012
Online coverage from The Bee this season:
• LIVE CHATS: Join The Bee's Matt Kawahara for in-game chats during every Kings home game, just before tipoff right through the final buzzer.
• VIDEOS: Find out what some Kings players and coach Paul Westphal have to say about the upcoming season - and much more.
• BLOG: Stay up to date on the team's happenings with Jason Jones, Ailene Voisin and Matt Kawahara on The Bee's Kings blog.
• FACEBOOK: "Like" the Sacramento Kings Corner page and join Bee staffers and fans in discussions about the team and players.
• TWITTER: Follow The Bee's Jason Jones for up-to-the-minute developments, in-game updates and much more about the Kings.