PHOTO CREDIT: Orlando Magic forward Ryan Anderson (33) drives past Houston Rockets defender Marcus Morris during second-quarter action at the Amway Center in Orlando, Florida on Dec. 26, 2011. Joshua C. Cruey. Orlando Sentinel/MCT.
We're here to feed your need for Sacramento Kings news. Each day, we'll highlight news, features and analysis from around the Web.
Tonight's game - Orlando Magic (5-3) at Sacramento Kings (3-5):
- Matt Kawahara (@matthewkawahara), in a blog post today, offers his five things to watch tonight.
- Jason Jones (@mr_jasonjones) previews tonight's game in today's newspaper.
- Keith Smart "said he is introducing concepts of his offensive scheme in practice but will keep things simple in games for the time being," writes Kawahara in today's newspaper.
- Jonathan Santiago (@itsJONsantiago) previews tonight's game in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Cowbell Kingdom.
- Tom Ziller (@teamziller) previews tonight's game in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Sactown Royalty.
- "The best news for (Ryan) Anderson and the Magic is that Anderson is a young player who is just beginning to realize his potential," writes David Steele (@SteeleMagic) in a column for Fox Sports Florida.
- "Although Anderson has made strides on the offensive end of the court so far this season, averaging 17.9 points per game, he still needs to improve on his defense and his rebounding," writes Josh Robbins (@JoshuaBRobbins) in today's Orlando Sentinel.
- The Magic did not hold a pre-game shootaround today, reports Robbins in a blog post for Orlando Sentinel.
- Magic coach Stan Van Gundy will not make any changes to the starting lineup during the three-game West Coast road trip, reports Robbins in today's Orlando Sentinel.
- Brian Schmitz (@MagicInsider) previews tonight's game in today's Orlando Sentinel.
- Evan Dunlap (@BQRMagic) previews tonight's game in a blog post for SB Nation affiliate Orlando Pinstriped Post.
- Andrew Melnick (@HowardtheDunk) previews tonight's game in a blog post for FanSided affiliate Howard the Dunk.
- "Smart, who Thursday became the Kings' fourth coach in four seasons, approaches the game from the grass-roots level," writes Ailene Voisin (@ailene_voisin) in a column in today's newspaper. "There aren't any silver spoons in his suitcase, no five-year contracts and bonus signings changing his tax bracket."
- "The issue that's been lurking in the weeds for a long time - the long-term viability of the team's owners - is at the root of every Kings malady today," writes Marcos Breton (@MarcosBreton) in a column in today's newspaper.
- "One aspect that players are finding immediately apparent is a faster tempo," writes Kawahara in a blog post.
- Smart addresses the media following Saturday's practice:
- "Almost three-quarters of people who attended a Sacramento Kings game in the past year read The Bee in print or online," writes Joyce Terhaar (@jterhaar) in a column in today's newspaper.
More news and analysis:
- Sam Amick (@sam_amick), in a story for Sports Illustrated, speculates on the Maloofs' interest in former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan.
- "Jason Thompson is using his status as an up-and-coming NBA star to give back to the community he calls home," writes Erica Bauwens (@EricaBauw) in a story for South Jersey Magazine.
- Smart is preaching freedom and spacing, reports Santiago in a blog post for TrueHoop Network affiliate Cowbell Kingdom.
- Jones, a blog post today, breaks down all 30 team teams in the third installment of his weekly NBA Power Rankings.
- Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) ranks the Kings No. 21 in the NBA Basketball Power Rankings on ESPN.
- Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) ranks the Kings No. 27 in the NBA Power Rankings on ProBasketballTalk.
- Matt Moore (@MattMooreCBS) ranks the Kings No. 27 in the Power Rankings on CBS Sports.
Tweets of the day:
Kings' about-face in DeMarcus Cousins situation was in full effect b4 Thur game v. Milwaukee, when sources say GM Geoff Petrie...— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) January 8, 2012
...& one of Maloofs apologized for handling of the situation in team meeting w/ players. VP Wayne Cooper & new coach Keith Smart also there.— Sam Amick (@sam_amick) January 8, 2012
New #NBAKings buzzword= Free.Keith Smart making it a point to emphasize freedom on the court right now to his players.— Jon Santiago (@itsJONsantiago) January 7, 2012
Online coverage from The Bee this season:
• LIVE CHATS: Join The Bee's Matt Kawahara for in-game chats during every Kings home game, just before tipoff right through the final buzzer.
• VIDEOS: Find out what some Kings players and coach Paul Westphal have to say about the upcoming season - and much more.
• BLOG: Stay up to date on the team's happenings with Jason Jones, Ailene Voisin and Matt Kawahara on The Bee's Kings blog.
• FACEBOOK: "Like" the Sacramento Kings Corner page and join Bee staffers and fans in discussions about the team and players.
• TWITTER: Follow The Bee's Jason Jones for up-to-the-minute developments, in-game updates and much more about the Kings.