State Finance Director Micheal Genest this afternoon said that the state employees whose jobs were a casualty of California's budget impasse won't be rehired this budget year.
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's executive order on July 31 terminated about 10,000 part-time and retired annuitant positions, curbed overtime and suspended some contracts.
"We expect the order to remain in effect the rest of the (fiscal) year," Genest said to reporters shortly after Schwarzenegger signed the budget.
The state estimates that the savings from the record-setting budget delay and lower operating costs from the executive order will save the state about $340 million for the fiscal year.
Genest left a little wiggle room, however, saying that some positions could be filled after consideration on a "case-by-case basis," but that jobs vital to public health, safety or property protection had already been exempted.
"Some of the people (who were laid off) will not be coming back," Genest said. "Some of those contracts will not be coming back."
Click here to download the 2008-09 California State Budget.