Court Files posts introduce lawsuits of interest to state workers. We highlight the case, link you to the file and show you where to track developments on your own.
- Click on the case number below to download the file. (9 pages)
- Check for subsequent filings on the Sacramento Superior Court's document viewing page. Plug the case number into the appropriate field, click the search button and then scroll down to see a list of documents filed.
Case No.: 34-2010-80000521
Petitioners: California Correctional Peace Officers' Association and Charles Alexander
Respondents: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation and Matthew Cate
Case summary: The union, citing the California Public Records Act, in February requested information on how much CDCR has spent litigating and settling lawsuits back to 2007. CCPOA says the department failed to respond, so the union is suing.
We contacted CDCR and asked a few questions:
- Did the department in fact receive the request and fail to respond in a timely fashion?
- If so, why did the department fail to respond?
- Is the department going to respond now? Has the information requested been deemed exempt?
CDCR spokesman Paul Verke is checking. We'll let you know what we hear.