State and local officials closed the building shortly after the leak was discovered at around 6 a.m. The commission had expected the cleanup to be completed in time to open for business on Wednesday, but it's going more slowly than anticipated.
The building has to be certified by the appropriate authorities to reopen, commission spokesman Adam Gottlieb said Tuesday afternoon, adding, "They want to make sure it's absolutely clean."
Roughly 550 people who work at the building at 1516 Ninth St. were displaced after an employee discovered diesel fuel in a mechanical room. The fuel came from a backup generator on the building's roof. No one was injured in the incident.