Roughly 550 California Energy Commission workers are at home today after a backup generator on the agency headquarters' roof leaked diesel fuel into a mechanical room.
No one was injured by contact with the noxious fumes.
Commission spokesman Adam Gottlieb said that an employee discovered the fuel around 6 a.m. State and local toxic substance official have closed the building, located at 1516 9th St. in Sacramento.
"We're in clean up mode," Gottlieb said by telephone this morning. "We should be back up tomorrow."