College radio is known for wild and wacky stunts and off-the-wall programming. It's what we love about it.
It is in that spirit that KDVS (90.3 FM), based at UC Davis, launched its week-long pledge drive today. If past drives are any indication, this one should be a doozy. (By the way, yours truly recently volunteered to answer phones at Capital Public Radio's latest drive and wrote about it.)
In the latest issue of KDVS' newsletter, KDViations, a few staffers penned memories of past transgressions. Here are some highlights:
* A guy named DJ Mucky promised he would lick the studio floor if the station reached a pledge goal. He did it.
* Another DJ was dared by a listener to tap dance on air, while DJ Ryan ate snails he gathered from his backyard on a dare.
* A DJ named Acadius Lost vowed to drink a can of Red Bull and remove an article of clothing for every donation.
* During a late night heavy metal show, no one was calling in to donate. But, at 2:45 a.m., the DJ, Pirate, was surprised when he got a call from Stephen Carpenter, of the Sacramento group the Deftones. Carpenter picked up the tab for the entire pledge amount.
* And, our favorite, a DJ named Fuzzbox Flynn snorted a line of cayenne pepper after her show reached a goal of $500 in donations.
Flynn writes: "Immediately after northing the red hellish pepper, I felt a warm burning sensation in my nostril and the back of my throat. I immediately went to the bathroom and tried to flush out my nostril, but it was too late...It was painful, yet in a weird way, somewhat euphoric."