On the last day of a glorious three-day weekend, why not relax with a couple of good reads?
No, no, not George Tenet's hefty tome. I was thinking of more "lightweight" fare. Like fashion and beauty magazines. They go great with a cool beverage of your choice, an inviting chaise lounge or hammock - and your sunscreen, of course.
As May winds down, I'm already perusing the June offerings. Here's what I found:
* Harper's Bazaar: To be honest, I was a little surprised to see Paris Hilton and her former best friend/enemy/acquaintance Nicole Richie on the cover, their pocket pooches in hand. (At least they weren't tripping over them!) Inside, the twosome are showing off some of the fashions we'll see in the season to come. The stories that accompany the photos are titled "Nicole's Rap Sheet" and Paris' Rap Sheet." Now, if only Lindsay Lohan had biffed up her Mercedes months ago, she could have been part of the story. Best bet: The magazine's quick guide to transitioning between fashion seasons - at any age.
* InStyle: Actress Jessica Alba graces the cover with an inside piece showing Jessica in sort of cowgirl attire (cowboy hats, cowboy boots) with horses in the background. By the way, Jessica showed up at Sunday's NASCAR race in Charlotte, N.C., with castmates from her upcoming film, "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer." She got to meet hunky stock-car drivers and promote the movie. Best bet: Easy summer hairstyles - no blow-dryer required.
* Vogue: I almost didn't recognize actress Keira Knightley on the cover, but she's part of a story titled "45 Best Dressed Girls of Summer." The other "girls" include Kate Hudson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Sienna Miller and Kirsten Dunst. Best bet: Three packing pros teach a Vogue contributing editor how to travel light.
* Marie Claire: Rebecca Romijn is the cover girl, looking "summery." Now I ask: What says summer more than a tanned blonde wearing the perfect summer dress? Inside, a fashion story on swimwear that has no business getting wet. Best bet: A feature on the hottest new bags and shoes.
* Self: I've sort of been monitoring the story selection in this fittness/beauty magazine for the past couple months and have noticed there is almost always an article on how to get six-pack abs in, oh, about two minutes. The clock is ticking! Best bet: the 2007 Healthy Beauty Awards, as tested and approved by Self readers.
Enjoy the day!