"Underdog," Mark S. Allen-approved
Can't you just feel the swell of civic pride when an alert reader pointed out to 21Q that Sacramento movie critic Mark S. Allen of Channel 31's "Good Day Sacramento" made a Top 10 list for 2007 on the widely read Internet site, eFilmCritic.com?
What's that? You mean it was a list of the worst critics, the ones who shill for studio movies, no matter their cinematic worth?
Here's what Erik Childress, the journalist who authored the list, had to say about Allen, who checks in at No. 6:
(Allen) recommend(ed) the blasphemous Underdog with his own brand of rhyme and one of the worst-reviewed films of the year, Premonition, (140-of-152 negative at Rotten Tomatoes).
(Rottentomatoes.com is a site that aggregates reviews from media outlets around the country. "Underdog," for instance, garnered 48-of-56 awful reviews.)
Here are some of the blurbs attributed to Allen that eFilmCritic.com highlights to justify his inclusion on the list:
* "Funny, thoughtful and the most heart-felt movie you’ll see this season!" (P.S. I Love You)
* "Outstanding!" (Enchanted)
* "Exciting! Spectacular! Funny…and absolutely breathtaking from beginning to end!" (Meet the Robinsons)
* "One of the most original animated films ever." (Surf’s Up)
* "Awesome fun for thy whole family! Elephant sized laughs! Divine! Thou shalt laugh a lot!" (Evan Almighty)
* "See this movie, do not fail! You will leave with a wagging tail!" (Underdog)