As 2008 finally fades away, I'm at work on my annual "Best of" CD mix featuring my favorite songs of the year. Since I can't send each and every one of you a disc, I thought I'd just post the list here.
There are 24 songs because 23 is my favorite number but I couldn't decide which song to cut. The list is mostly national artists but there are a couple of local acts as well (in bold).
- "American Boy" - Estelle with Kanye West
- "Oxford Comma" - Vampire Weekend
- "White Winter Hymnal" - Fleet Foxes.
- "Mercy" - Duffy"
- "Pretty Bird" - Jenny Lewis
- "Single Girl, Married Girl" - Charlie Haden, with the Haden Triplets
- Miniature Birds / Grand Archives
- "Cane Cola" - Desario
- "Skinny Love" - Bon Iver
- "Here With Me" - Jennifer O'Connor
- "Sunday Afternoon" - Rachael Yamagata
- "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here" - She & Him
- "You" - Two Sheds
- "Chasing Pavements" - Adele
- "The Kelly Affair" - Be Your Own Pet
- "4 Minutes" - Madonna
- "No Pause" - Girl Talk
- "Don't Watch Me Dancing" - Little Joy
- "Wishes Were Horses" - Lucinda Williams
- "Life Is Better" - Q-Tip
- "Tell Me Now" - Baby Grand
- "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance" - the Black Kids
- 'Get Better" Mates Of State
- "Nothing Ever Happened" - Deerhunter
That's that, time to get ready for a night out to toast the arrival of 2009. See you on the other side.