The Sacramento Public Library is taking the LEED in local green building. The library's new Sacramento city and county branches are LEED-designed (that's a fun acronym for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, in case you didn't know). As a result, the new facilities will boast increased water savings, energy efficiency and indoor environmental quality.
And in the spirit of green reading, the library's branches will be hosting an imaginative series of environmentally friendly educational events this spring. Called "Living Green," many of the scheduled events are for kids, teens and families -- but some sound so fun and unique ($10 for anyone who already knows what "plarn" is!) that I'm already penciling them into my planner (which is printed on recycled paper, by the way).
Here's a highlight of just a few of the 40 colorful events, as described by the library, which include arts & crafts, films, entertainment and educational seminars. To learn more, contact the Sacramento Public Library at (916) 264-2920 or visit www.saclibrary.org.
Go Green: Recycling Trash Show with Magician Trevor Wyatt
Trevor uses a trash can containing items that should be recycled and then are incorporated in his magic tricks.
- April 9, Thursday, 4 p.m.: Arcade Library, 2443 Marconi Avenue, Sacramento
- April 14, Tuesday, 4 p.m.: Belle Cooledge Library, 5600 South Land Park Drive, Sacramento
- April 15, Wednesday, 4 p.m.: Arden-Dimick Library, 891 Watt Avenue, Sacramento
- April 22, Thursday, 4 p.m.: Valley Hi-North Laguna Library, 6351 Mack Road, Sacramento
- April 23, Thursday, 4 p.m.: Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento
"What Can You do with a Paper Bag?" with ArtWorks
There are hundreds of things you can do with a paper bag. You can create a doll, a book, a piñata, a puppet, buffalo story boards, and even a handmade purse.
- May 20, Wednesday, 4 p.m.: Elk Grove Library, 8900 Elk Grove Blvd., Elk Grove
- April 8, Wednesday, 4 p.m.: Rio Linda Library, 902 Oak Lane, Rio Linda
- May 6, Wednesday, 4 p.m.: North Sacramento-Hagginwood Library, 2109 Del Paso Blvd., Sacramento
Building a Lego City: Celebrate TV Turnoff Week
Help build a city made completely of Legos. All building materials will be provided and finished constructions will be on display.
- April 24, Friday, 3 p.m.: Galt-Marian O. Lawrence Library, 1000 Caroline Avenue, Galt
Crocheting with Plarn! with Sonya from Rebel Thredz
Interested in recycling? Feeling crafty? Change plastic bags into 'plarn' and crochet a variety of different items, including a sturdy grocery tote bag made from plarn.
- April 9, Thursday, 4 p.m.: Rancho Cordova Library, 9845 Folsom Blvd., Sacramento
Jewelry Making with ArtWorks
Go green and learn how to turn paper, beads, leather, wood, and other found materials into jewelry.
- April 23, Thursday, 3:30 p.m.: Elk Grove Library, 8900 Elk Grove Blvd., Elk Grove
"Don't Throw Me Away!" with ArtWorks
Decorate old t-shirts with fabric paints, old beads, embellishments, buttons, and fabric from old clothes usually thrown away.
- May 28, Thursday, 3:30 p.m.: Elk Grove Library, 8900 Elk Grove Blvd., Elk Grove
Smart Plant Choices with Julie Serences, Educator, Sacramento Audubon Society
Become a backyard habitat manager by learning about selecting native plants for the home garden. These "smart" plants require less water, less maintenance, and attract more birds into your yard.
- April 4, Saturday, 10 a.m.: Fair Oaks Library, 11601 Fair Oaks Blvd., Fair Oaks
- April 4, Saturday, 1 p.m.: Franklin Community Library, 10055 Franklin High Road, Elk Grove
- April 13, Monday, 6 p.m.: Belle Cooledge Library, 5600 South Land Park Drive, Sacramento
- April 14, Tuesday, 6 p.m.: Elk Grove Library, 8900 Elk Grove Blvd., Elk Grove
- April 15, Wednesday, 6:30 p.m.: Arcade Library, 2443 Marconi Avenue, Sacramento
- April 18, Saturday, 11 a.m.: North Natomas Library, 2500 new Market Drive, Sacramento
- April 18, Saturday, 1 p.m.: Colonial Heights Library, 4799 Stockton Blvd., Sacramento
- April 23, Thursday, 6:30 p.m.: Central Library, 828 I Street, Sacramento
- April 27, Monday, 6:30 p.m.: South Natomas Library, 2901 Truxel Road, Sacramento
"Who Killed the Electric Car?"
Watch the documentary film that delves into the short life of the General Motors EV1 electric car, once the rage in the mid-1990s.
- April 14, Tuesday, 3 p.m.: Del Paso Heights Library, 920 Grand Avenue, Sacramento